Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
A Few Tips and Tricks
SERVPRO of Haywood and Transylvania Counties offers these water damage tips to help with any loss you might experience on your property. It is critical that you understand what to do and what not to do if you need water cleanup in your home. Your first step should be calling SERVPRO of Haywood and Transylvania Counties. We have the experts you need to safely and thoroughly clean up leaks and flooding.
While you wait for our water damage specialists to arrive, here are a few things you can do to speed up the cleanup process:
Please make sure your property has been given the "all clear" and is safe to enter before starting the process!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (828) 452-2111
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.